Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Flyover - A Solution?

The flyovers (their construction to be precise) have some strange relation with me. The hosur road flyover construction started just when I had started using that stretch of the road. I have probably seen the very first stone used for the construction. The pace of its construction amused me. The change of routes I had to make every another day was perplexing. The number of times I had cursed the construction outnumbered the hardship and delays due to the traffic woes it created. At least for that sake, I should have reaped the benefit of the completed fly over. But then, I changed my route.

Just when I was comfortable with the route to Kormangala through Dairy Circle, the fly over construction began. My route changes continued. Add to it the crawling through a narrow short-cut. This time the construction never seemed to end.

I can say “I did test-ride on all combination of paths under and near the flyover”. And after one year of alternate routes and suffering, the fly over finally opened to the public.

Am I happy now? One of its kind 3 stage project (underpass, flyover and normal), big budget, success story of BDA – all nice adjectives. I don’t intend to take any credit away from the project. But then, after cruising through the wonderful underpass, one needs to break hard the vehicle. It’s a “bottleneck” there!!

Where is the problem? My colleague had once remarked, the flyovers sometimes only shift the traffic jams to a different place. The solution is temporary or incomplete.

This need not be true for all cases. More fly over projects at whopping budget are planned this year. Bangalore’s infrastructure is improving- I am happy! But I continue to take the narrow short-cut, that I used during the construction of fly-over, with reduced crawl.




2 Comments:

At 1/13/2005 06:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. i agree that b'lore's infrastructure is improving. but then i too think they are building flyovers senselessly.. for eg. take the madivala junction in the evening's.. we have vehicles from BTM and Electronics City all converging at Madivala junction where the 100ft road narrows down to 25-30 ft... whats the point anyways of planning a flyover this way... i do agree that the silk-board junction is no more crowded, but dont u think when we plan a project worth crores of rupees and years of time to complete, it should be planned in such a way that it doesn't merely shift the traffic congestion by 200 mts.

 
At 2/17/2005 06:26:00 PM, Anonymous Guru said...

Flyovers don’t solve traffic problems, they just elevate them!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home